Salbertrand

Due to its particular orientation and the very good degree of humidity of its mountainous surroundings, Salbertrand has always had large extensions of woods that procured incomes from the selling of firs used for the construction of well-known buildings such as as the Teatro Reale (Royal Theatre) and the Arsenal of Turin, the Palazzina di Caccia (Hunting Lodge) of Stupinigi, the dome of the Basilica of Superga and the Castle of Venaria.

The village of Salbertrand is located at an altitude of 1032 metres, on the left of a wide plain along which the Dora Riparia flows and in which there is the line Turin - Paris international railway,

the main road SS 24 to Monginevro and the Frejus motorway. Its name comes from the union of two words "Sala" and "Berta". The former is a German term that means village, the latter is the name of an old family that dominated the village. Today it is a small quiet holiday resort with a mountain environment of rare beauty. It owes a large part of its fame to the Great Wood, an exceptional oasis that hosts various animal species and that shows one of the best fir-woods of all the western Alps. Thousands and thousands of visitors go through the park every year. No less beautiful are the striking mountains that surround the main town: from the Vallonetto to the Seguret, from the Niblé to the Pramand. Salbertrand includes several hamlets as well, the most important of which is Ecluse, once highly populated and renowned for potato,wheat and  rye cultivations.   The other villages are:

Oulme, Fenils, Combes, Moncellier, Frenée, San Romano, Rival, Plans and Deveys, the last one together with Exilles. The most significant monument is represented by the parish church of St John the Baptist, in late Gothic style, but still with Romanesque influence. Built around the XI century, but entirely reconstructed in 1506, the church possesses a light portico supported by stone pillars and a valuable stone portal, constructed with simple shapes, but engraved with great skill. At its centre there is the French coat of arms and beside it, that of the Dauphin. The inside has three naves with several interesting Gothic frescoes from the 1500s that adorn the side walls. In the centre of the village, as you walk along via Roma, there is a ornamental medieval fountain that is worth seeing. It is made of stone and has the date of its completion engraved on it, 1524. There is a later copy of this same fountain in the Castle of Valentino in Turin. Another very old fountain is located in the higher part of he village. The chapel in the hamlet of Oulme

is also particluarly interesting, with a huge fresco of Saint Cristopher. We recommend a visit to the small church in the ward of Ecluse, with an artistic bell tower and a wooden portal. In the ward of Deveys we suggest the curious anthropo -morphic fountain that marks the boundary between the town councils of Salbertrand and Exilles.